Koala Freak pre-workout is made by an Australian supplement company founded by Calum von Moger. A professional weight-lifter, actor, and YouTuber. Among his list of professional credentials is being a five-time bodybuilding champion.
On their website, the makers state that Koala Freak is part of an overall “SHRED” program which includes a full workout plan, a complete and detailed weight-based meal plan, a “MARCO” layout, staunch team support, and of course a 6-week money back guarantee should you not see the results they promised.
What is Koala Freak pre-workout?
Koala Freak pre-workout aims to be the type of supplement that doesn’t give you the jitters, provides huge muscle pumps, and mental stimulation. Whilst this all looks very appealing it is unequivocally clear that this product has been developed very much with men in mind.
However, that said it is available in four flavors: Blue Baz Berry, Aussie Apple, Pina Koala, and Peach Mango
Here’s a quick break-down of the product:
- Transparent formula – One of the best things any top supplement can offer.
- Huge doses – We wouldn’t want to add them up without a calculator.
- A whopping 360mg of Caffeine – For sensitive users, it’s too much.
- Strange mascot – Koalas are meant to be cute and cuddly?
How Does Koala Freak pre-workout Work?
Based on what we see at a glance, Koala Freak pre-workout works from three different angles: Pump, Strength, and Stimulation for both physical and mental performance. The supplement provides a lot of stimulants to help you attack these three goals. This probably explains their tagline of being a “More of everything” pre-workout.
The Ingredients in Koala Freak pre-workout
We have the complete B-Complex in this blend. The doses are spectacularly high and you could argue unnecessarily so. This is because b vitamins are water soluble which means you easily excrete them through urination when you’ve had too much. When you pair that with the fact that each vitamin here is used in its most bioavailable form, you could well be excreting a lot of excess vitamins.
- Citrulline Malate. We have a really good dose of 6 grams here. As we all know, citrulline malate is your best friend if you want for super pumps. More pumps = bigger muscles and more lifting power.
- Arginine AKG. This is arginine made more bioavailable. Since it’s arginine, it naturally supports citrulline malate’s nitric oxide benefits.
- Agmatine Sulfate. This is another nitric oxide booster that provides sustainable pumps. It means you will feel ready to lift for longer periods.
- Norvaline. This ingredient is said to removes the barrier in nitric oxide production, allowing your body to produce as much nitric oxide as it wants.
Strength Performance Complex
- Beta alanine. We have this endurance ingredient in the branded form CarnoSyn. It helps with stamina by delaying the onset of fatigue. Not only that, it also helps with muscle recovery, making it an effective post-workout ingredient too.
- Betaine. Betaine comes in the brand of Betapure. Betaine is really great at complementing beta alanine’s endurance benefits as well as providing strength support. It also has some secondary pump-boost effect.
- ElevATP. A rare ingredient, elevATP promotes ATP synthesis. ATP synthesis is the process involved in converting nutrients to cellular energy. More ATP = more stamina. More stamina = more reps per set. More reps = more fat burning.
- Choline bitartrate. Choline is known as the brain’s primary chemical for health and function. At 1000 mg Koala Freak contains a staggering dose that is way over what is required to make a health claim.
- Caffeine and Theanine. 360 mg of caffeine may well scare you, although the theory is that theanine acts as the perfect “anti-caffeine” ingredient. It is also included at 360 mg, giving us the fabled 1:1 caffeine-theanine stack. We don’t see the benefit of using a big dose of stimulants but then attempting to counteract the effects with something else.
- Higenamine. It’s a stimulant that supposedly activates the adrenaline hormones to help you burn more fat for energy. The 75 mg dose is safe and good.
- Hordenine. Similar to higenamine, we’re guessing it serves to prolong the effects provided by higenamine.
- Huperzine A. A nootropic that helps with focus and mental clarity. Works really well even in small doses of 0.2 mg making the 0.3 mg dosage effective.
Overall, Koala Freak pre workout may seem like they have far too many ingredients, but upon closer inspection, we don’t think it’s a bad product. We’re impressed at the variety on offer in this formula, we just think they have gone a little overboard with doses in certain areas.
For example, the Vitamin complex adds up to a whopping 12,000 percent of your required daily values, and that is in just one serving!
Koala Freak pre-workout could’ve used the following ingredients to further boost their already efficient formula.
- EnXtra. Could help reduce the use of that much caffeine as it amplifies caffeine’s effects.
- Oxyjun. A really clean energy alternative that stimulates blood flow minus any side effects.
Side Effects of Koala Freak pre workout
The real worry here is the 360 mg of caffeine. Left unchecked, caffeine can cause a serious case of jitters, nausea, palpitations, and even crashing. However, the addition of theanine is intended to soften the blow, so to speak.
The eye-watering level of vitamins might mean that you might spend some time urinating the excess out.
Koala Freak customer reviews:
- “Super clean and great pump!”
- “Pre-workout by a bodybuilder for bodybuilders.”
- “Really good product and impressive customer service.”
- “I get better energy from other products.”
- “My powder was clumpy and hard to scoop out.”
- “I never liked any of the flavors.”
Will Koala Freak pre-workout Help You Lose Weight?
It’s a pre-workout first and foremost and not a fat burner. However, it can help get you in the mood to workout which can then help boost your body’s natural ability to burn fat. Don’t forget the bedrock of any weight loss initiative is high-intensity exercise carried out several times a week.
If you are struggling for motivation then a good pre-workout supplement should help you achieve fat loss goals quicker than you used to.
- No prop blends. Honesty is always a good trait in any industry.
- Generous dosing. Doesn’t shy away from max potency.
- Premium feel. We love most of the ingredient forms in this supplement.
- Pricey. Quality isn’t cheap, folks.
- Long formulation. Too many ingredients might mean some are underdosed.
- Caffeine. Even with theanine, we all know the potential risks of taking that much caffeine in one shot.
- Male focussed – High stimulant count.
The Koala Freak pre-workout is a supplement has some good credentials in that it has been developed by an industry expert. The ingredients included are supposed to give you a massive pump, more stamina combined with raw power, as well as a ton of energy to spare.
It should also apparently help to keep you calm and focused on the task at hand, making you see nothing but the barbell during your hour of training.
What else could you want from a pre-workout?
If you’re male then the answer is not a lot. But if you are a woman then massive pumps and loads of caffeine might not be up your street. It may only be nit-picking but with that huge blast of ingredients, there is always the chance of a few more side effects than you’d bargained for.